So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Continuing Cheonan

I didn't spend much time at "home" (for obvious reasons) since I taught during the day and did some sightseeing with Mi-Suk during the afternoon and weekend. This was my first introduction to a Korean Buddhist Temple. While very pretty, I am comfortable saying that if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Unfortunately, I will have seen at least ten others in the future since every Korean city wants you to see one of their numerous "famous" temples. This one, however, was particularly cool because it was my first and it has one of the largest sitting Buddhas in the world.


I also saw the Independence Museum which documents much of Korea's Japanese occupation. It is an interesting place to visit.



Another first for me was visiting a Korean traditional village. Much like the temples, if you've seen one traditional Korean village, you've seen them all. I will have also seen at least ten more during my time in Korea. They are quaint places that are wonderful for walking around, taking photos, and doing some personal reflecting. It was also my first time trying sikhye, a sweet rice drink that is typically served chilled (the older lady who served me took a liking to me ;).





During my week in Cheonan I had a series of great lunches (being with a local always helps), though I only photo documented one (I guess this one is only great if you like fish):


Through the Couchsurfing community, I met up with other English teachers living around Cheonan. One teacher took pity on me and my lodging and offered her place to surf for the weekend (the whole point of couchsurfing, I suppose). Consequently, another first in Cheonan, my first couchsurfing experience! My hostess was wonderful and even cooked up a West Indian dinner for Mi-Suk and I. With my last teaching job (for now) coming to an end, my backpacking of Korea was about to begin.

No comments: