So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Scoot Scoot Coasts and Mountains of Taiwan

Definitely disappointed in myself because of last night! After getting back to the hostel, we had a few drinks, K had a few more than I. He didn't want to drive, and I didn't blame him, so I became the DD except it was on a scooter. I don't know if anyone reading this (if there even is anyone reading this) has ever had a passenger on a scooter/motorcycle/bicycle (passenger slightly under the influence, nonetheless), but it's not really easy to stop/go/steer freely, particularly when your comrade doesn't trust your driving (brief introductions in hostels don't do much for trust issues)! Anyway, after searching for a particular restaurant that we never found, we had to opt for McDonald's due to restaurant closing times. Can you believe it? I ate at freaking Mc'D's in Taiwan, what the heck? I was determined to start AND end TODAY on a much better note!

7/11, as usual, was the first stop then we headed straight for Highway 11 which is the coastal highway on the eastern side of the island. The day was beautiful and the ride and views were phenomenal.




Laughing at the helmet is acceptable!



Unfortunately, photos and words can obviously do no justice. The waters around Taiwan tend to be rough, particularly during the early part of the year, so no swimming was attempted. After riding and stopping every 10-20 miles along the coast, we took one of the east/west windy roads to get to highway 9, which heads through the mountains.



The colors of the fields in the valleys were a shade of green to remember



On one of our many stops to take in the view, I remember telling my riding companion, Kewin, that two things would make this already awesome experience even better. One, if I had some tea to drink while enjoying the view, and two, instead of Kewin along for this ride, a lady! Fortunately, I was able to remedy one of the two dilemmas when we stopped at WuHe tea farm to sample a crapload of tea (maybe even two of the dilemmas were solved as tea clerk was indeed female). I was easily sold, and after drinking literally 10 cups of tea (they are small cups), possibly more since I would sneak pour more if the lady was taking too long to refill my cup, I bought a tin of tea and we began our return trip back to Hualien after a quick stop at, you guessed it, 7/11



The route we took

No comments: