So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Scoot Scoot Taroko

Waking up early has never been a strong suit for me, particularly on misty drizzly days! However, I was determined to put my two full days in Hualien to good use. Another one of the hostel guests, Kewin, and I haphazardly created a sore excuse for an itinerary. Today was touring Taroko Gorge and tomorrow would be down the coast and up through the mountains. We knew there was a plethora of scooter rental shops near the train station, so after stopping by 7/11 for breakfast we headed towards the station. Consulting Lonely Planet for the scooter shop they recommended, we quickly saw how fast an LP pick goes to a store's head. There prices were significantly higher than everyone else and they required more paperwork and documentation. Fortunately, we found another store down the street that requires only passports (no license required, crazy) and the payment in cash! We negotiated for a two day rental which cost us about $10/day per scooter. Off we went to Taroko Gorge, fortunately, the rain had let up (first a quick stop at 7/11 again to stock up on water and snacks, of course)!










The gorge was a perfect place for a scooter or motorcycle. There were plenty of windy roads to test your tire traction with bits of straightaways to let loose on the lovely 125cc scooter (as I'm typing this I'm laughing to myself because 125cc is tiny BUT surprisingly those things haul ass more than you'd think). You did have to mind the countless number of buses that would be weaving through the lanes, particularly when heading through narrow areas. Buses don't slow down or yield in Taiwan (it seems to be a very common trait in all of Asia). We stopped briefly at the next major "town" for a quick bite then headed back towards Hualien. On our way home we decided to take the scenic route and saw a random assortment of villages and coastal areas and even got funny looks from the coast guard as we rode up right to the beach! For giggles, I found a nice dirt patch where I thought doing donuts would be a good idea. I almost broke multiple bones in my body by nearly falling down a ravine, but by the grace of whoever you believe in, I didn't! I was humbled for the day as I rode back to the hostel!





Links to the Taiwan Albums with all the photos:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2484180&id=14815291&l=c9cb42fcc7
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2484737&id=14815291&l=6253c1ca32

No comments: