So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Couch Hopping Around Seoul

(September/October 2009)
After returning from Sokcho, we decided to try something a bit different, couchsurfing! After sending a number of requests, we ended up staying with Jordan, an American teaching English in Nowon (northeast of Seoul) for one night, and David, also an American teaching English in Nowon (and coincidentally just down the street from Jordan) for two nights. Both hosts were awesome and hospitable and, oddly enough, Mac lovers! David even gave me two books for me to take along and read A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut and Nickle and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.

After Lydia left, I went back to Bebop Guesthouse for a day. While there an American, a French guy, and I randomly befriended a Korean guy, while out for a few drinks, who wanted to speak French to us all night, while showing us Korean hospitality, literally from 2am to 11:30 am the next day! Needless to say, your circadian rhythm goes awry! I also had the satisfying experience of visiting a batting cage in Insadong and hitting balls for 1000KRW or about 80 cents, visiting Kyobo bookstore, and walking all the way from Insadong to Mapo-gu (it's a long way and we got lost)!

The next day, I decided to couchsurf with two awesome American girls from Minnesota (which I don't hold against them, hopefully they read this). They gave me their spare room, we baked cookies (well, they did, I ate them), drank wine, ate shabu shabu, and I tried to make them dinner and do their dishes in appreciation for their hospitality. Oh, and I should mention that their neighbor loved (and still does love) to listen to John Denver, Take Me Home Country Roads specifically. Ohhhh, Korea!

No comments: