So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

From the US to Turkey Part 1

Ah yes! So the day to depart for Istanbul has arrived. It has been a fairly quick three weeks. I’ve been helping my folks setup the convenience store they bought. Basically, I’ve been happily providing free labor (into some late nights) and suggestions the past few weeks.

I’m sitting on the plane writing this entry. The day started fairly straightforward but a little early for my liking, 8am, I’ve been getting used to not needing to get up early. Yeah, yeah, I can hear you guys groaning. As many of you can imagine, I didn’t start packing until 11pm the night before I departed. Not as big of a deal since it’s done at this point and my parents helped me, thanks mom and dad! I’m sure I forgot a few things since I already know I forgot my belts. I think I packed too much despite the repeated suggestions of a few friends. We’ll see.

So I got to the airport and attempted to check in. Not possible, my itinerary could not be found. So I asked the agent what’s going on. Nice people but they weren’t sure either. Turns out, I’m flying Lufthansa but my first leg from Fort Myers, Fl to Charlotte, NC is through United but Fort Myers doesn’t have United so it’s actually through US Airways. Of course I didn’t print the paperwork in an attempt to be environmentally friendly (and lazy). Anyway, finally got checked it after a few calls to technical support. However, I only get my ticket to Charlotte since they cannot print my ticket from Charlotte to Munich or from Munich to Istanbul, wonderful. At least my luggage is checked all the way. We’ll see about this since I have no idea if my luggage will make it as I write this. I attempt to get my ticket from Lufthansa in Charlotte to Munich but no one is there because I am four hours early. I decide I will eat some lunch/dinner. I pace around for 45 minutes trying to decide between mediocrity and crap, the choices: Burger King, Manchu Wok, Chili’s Too, Salsaritas, Taqueria, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Quizno’s TCBY, Starbucks, some random Carolina BBQ place, and a few other places I can’t remember. Yes, I really did pace around for 45 minutes (I was on the phone) and decided with Quiznos (Mesquite Chicken, no bacon, thank ya much). Finished lunch then hunted for a power outlet for my phone and laptop (they have free internet at Charlotte airport). Not many power outlets by seats, I’m sure it’s not a coincidence. Finally someone shows up at the ticket counter but the line is moving slow. I get my ticket but am told the flight is delayed, and I probably will not make my connection in Munich so they cannot give me a ticket from Munich to Istanbul. Fabulous, since people I’ve never met and probably cannot easily get a hold of are picking me up. Not sure what’s going to happen at this point since I’m in route.

So the seat I selected on the internet is no longer the seat I’m sitting in. Not sure why that happened, but the agent, who I attempted to flirt with to get an upgrade (unsuccessful), at least got me an aisle seat. However, this aisle seat is a bulkhead seat right next to the “kitchen” and bathrooms. Now, some people like bulkhead seats because there are no seats in front of them. I don’t like bulkhead seats because there are no seats in front of me. You can’t put your feet under the seat in front of you (since there is no seat) and the tray table is flimsy and in your armrest. Whatever, not that big of a deal! What’s more interesting is that since I have a bathroom “view” I witnessed some interesting things. I saw an old dude trying to pick up some young chick, I saw multiple (and I stress multiple) ladies doing stretches and exercises while waiting to use the facilities. Hey, I’m not hating, just observing . . . and smirking! The flight attendants on Lufthansa are awfully nice (and tall and attractive). When booking my ticket I selected the Hindu meal option because I read in a travel article that you get a restaurant made meal when you select special meal options. Unfortunately for me, the article was specifically referencing Halal options, which like Kosher, need to be prepared a certain way and requires a blessing. This usually means it has to come from a restaurant specializing in this. In the instance of Hindu, I think they lean to the vegetarian option. Dang, now I know for next time. Food was good anyway. Well, I need to return my seat to an upright position and stow any items so I’ll end this part now.

No comments: