So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

From the US to Turkey Part 2

(I’m in Istanbul airport with my luggage waiting on my ride, woo hoo, but I’ll continue writing where I left off)
The only beer they serve on Lufthansa is Warsteiner. I had three and two glasses of red wine, three cups of tea, five cups of water, one cup of OJ, one cup of coffee, and one serving of cognac. Not sure why I just shared that, but I did! I was a little disappointed with the in flight entertainment. I was hoping for personalized entertainment units where you can select, pause, rewind and all that jazz. The guy next to me said some of the Lufthansa flights have them some don’t. So instead I had to watch whatever was playing which was the Nanny Diaries with Scarlett Johannsen. I think that’s why I had so many beverages. What a stunning performance by Alicia Keyes, might be Oscar worthy. The movie wasn’t bad, I cried. Just kidding on the crying and on Alicia. Following the Nanny Diaries was Made of Honor. I had enough sappy films so I read my GQ. Couldn’t fall asleep on this flight.
Landed in Munich, got off the jet way, and wouldn’t you know it, the Istanbul gate was right there. They must’ve known I was coming to provide such VIP service. I waited all of five minutes to be shuffled off to a bus and taken to my next plane. I could choose either the front or back door to enter the place. I was row 27 so I picked the front door (the plane seemed pretty long). Turns out row 27 is the second to last one. Who knew? This flight was fairly empty so I got comfortable pretty quick but then breakfast came. It seemed to a French style breakfast but for all I know it could be German: bread, jam, butter, two types of cold cuts, and two types of cheese. They also gave juice box of orange juice. When was the last time you used one of those? I must admit, watching grown men drink out of them, particularly when they are trying to get that last bit out, is quite funny. Landed in Istanbul, got my visa for 20 USD, then got in a horribly long line for immigration. That really was the hardest part, once I met the officer she didn’t say hello, didn’t ask me any questions, just stamped my passport and I was on my way. No customs either. Anyway, now I am waiting for my ride, but not before someone tried to scam me. An “information” guy asked me if I needed help. I said I needed to make a phone call to which he said no problem. We walked over to a booth a few steps away and it was a taxi/tour bus stand. The guy dialed the number then talked to the guy on the other end but I had no idea what they were talking about. Then he told me I needed to get a taxi to the city center where my ride was going to be. Long story short, I walked away but he told me I needed to pay for the phone call. I said no, he did nothing and I was off to the public phone. I wait.

No comments: