So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

All Aboard for Andong

(Date refresher: This is still circa September 2009)

In the morning, Chris dropped me off at the bus stop and told the driver in Korean where I needed to go. Even though he also explained it to me, it was a bit confusing since I had no bearings. An older Korean woman who had heard Chris speak to the driver, and noticed I was clueless, frantically waved her hands for me to get off a few stops after I had just gotten on. How nice of her, I had absolutely no idea this was my stop. Yet another example of Korean kindness.

During the couple days I was in Andong, I visited the Hahoe (pronounced ha-hwo) Folk Village (Queen Elizabeth II planted a tree there),







sampled the Andong Soju (which didn't taste all that great but was an experience),


walked around a lot, drank tea at a traditional tea house, and visited some other places that I unfortunately can't remember anymore (must have been the Andong Soju, just kidding).

Another great example of Korean hospitality was during the afternoon, I had gotten lost somewhat but was in the process of getting back on track. I walked by two older Korean ladies that were cleaning a park. I must have caught their eye, because they immediately started speaking to me . . . in Korean. While I could not understand most of what they were saying, I managed to understand their offer for bottled water, coffee, and to sit down with them. I obliged and in my limited Korean, communicated to them that I was from the US, my parents were Indian, I was an English teacher, and the coffee they gave me was delicious. This was easily one of my favorite memories of Andong. I also had the privilege of notifying a dak galbi restaurant owner, where I ate lunch,  that his shop was in the Moon Guide. That most certainly made his week! I even wrote him a note that he could post on his restaurant door "As Featured in Moon Guide: South Korea." No discount for my services, though!

No comments: