So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Going Good in Gyeongju

I caught a bus from Andong to Gyeongju where a professor responded to a post I put in the CS forum. He teaches English and Tourism at Gyeongju University and encourages his students to host CSers to learn about other cultures and practice their English. In all, I was indirectly hosted by 4 or 5 students. The first student that hosted me was Lu, a Chinese international student studying in Korea. He picked me up from the bus station and we headed back to his dormitory for dinner. I did feel a bit bad since in order to host me, he booted his roommate out to give me a place to stay.

The next day I made my way to Gyeongju University to meet Professor Chay and his students. It was actually a great experience as everyone was eager to meet the "foreigner" (in more ways than one, right?). Professor Chay and his students were wonderful. Professor Chay told me I could couchsurf at his flat. He would stay somewhere else with some friends, and two of his students would stay with me to host and have a cultural exchange.

Over the next couple of days, I visited the Royal Tomb Complex (which consists of a boatload of things to see)







Anapji Pond, which seemed very peaceful and relaxing



Bulgoksa Temple and the good luck magic rat, and





Seokguram Grotto, but you cannot take a picture inside of the Buddha


I walked a fair bit and even visited a Korean all you can eat joint. Not surprisingly, I ate too much, I have a habit of that!

No comments: