So, you found me! Perhaps on your own, but more likely after I subtly but not so subtly dropped this link on you! Doesn't matter, I'm happy you are here to share my adventures!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Braving Beautiful Busan

In the afternoon, I headed to Busan, Korea's second largest city, to continue couchsurfing the country. My hostess, Marisa, was an ESL teacher from the US. She was a great hostess and had a real shower instead of one of the combined toilet/sink/shower rooms. I visited Haeundae Beach (there is Korean blockbuster movie about this place) and Jagalchi Fish Market nearby,




ate a "real" hamburger with Australian beef (they won't import from the US after Mad Cow), saw yet another temple, went to Taejongdae


partook in Busan expat nightlife, got lost around downtown, attempted to buy knockoff CK underwear, ate Mexican food, and perhaps one of my most gratifying experiences (thanks to Ann, my second Busan CS host)--went to a jimjilbang. If you are in Korea, you should go. They are in inexpensive spa like experiences with hot tubs of varying temperatures (including cold) and mixes (water, mineral, essential oil) and hot and cold saunas. You do have to be in the buff in the hot tubs and shower areas (same gender, of course) but they have co-ed (if you like) sauna areas you can relax in. You can also sleep overnight in a jimjilbang. I believe the cost to enter this one was about 10,000KRW or about 8USD. Oh yeah, Ann also had a washing machine that doubled as a dryer. I've never seen that before, and I was impressed! FYI: All my CS hosts receive lovely gifts from me that include chocolate digestive cookies and regular chocolate and sometimes wine or sansachun. I'm a great guest, aren't I? Pay no attention to the fact, that I also enjoy these items and have been known to consume them with my hosts!

No comments: